How do you narrow it down just the basics, especially if you are first time parents?
Honestly, in the newborn period, you really do not need much to begin with. It definitely can be overwhelming and difficult to narrow down what you exactly need for your bundle of joy. If you are not into buying a huge list of items and you just want to get the basics that you will for sure need, here is a brief guide to help you learn what item are essential for your new arrival.
Here is the Newborn Baby Essentials Checklist
That is absolutely essential to survive the newborn phase up until 6 months.
Clothing for NewbornI would start with newborn or 0-3 months clothing, depending on the size of your newborn and you do not need a whole lot. Babies grow at unpredictable rates, which means one clothing size won’t last long. In my experience, the entire summer of 2014, we had our daughter in diaper unless we went outside. It was extremely hot time of the year in Los Angeles and we would occasionally turn on the AC.As your baby grows, you will know what you will need, and what you will stop needing. Anything you don’t need, you can store it in a box or a bin or simply donate to your local thrift store.
- About 7-10 Onesies or rompers (depends on how often you want to do launder
- 3-4 Baby Sleepers or Sleep Sacks
- 2 Newborn Hats (depends on the weather)
- 5-7 pairs of baby socks.
- Swaddling/Receiving Blankets
Nursery Furniture and Items
I had gotten a CoSleeper basket similar to SwaddleMe By Your Side Sleeper. We didn’t even use the crib so much as I was breastfeeding every 2-3 hours in the newborn period, and we continued to co sleep until she was about 4 months before we put the crib next to our bed. It was helpful to have a crib to put her there some days to help her get use to the crib.
- Crib, cradle, bassinet or another safe sleep space.
- Dresser or storage area for baby clothes, sheets, diapers, etc.
- 2 fitted crib sheets
- Thin Cotton receiving blankets
- Crib Bumpers (can be SIDs hazard)
- Humidifier or Vaporizer
( I would have this, just in case your child becomes ill, a humidifier or vaporizer will and one can be helpful for many years. Getting sick is unavoidable)
Feeding Essentials for you Your Newborn
I had fed my daughter from both the bottle and breastfed for the first few weeks. After few weeks, I switched to completely breastfeeding her.
I had such a difficult time getting used to going out with a newborn in tow and couldn’t understand whether I should:
- Pump and take the pumped milk out
- Just breastfeed her directly
- Feed her formula from the bottle (She did not take too well once she got used to breastfeeding)
- Feed her before I leave and then immediately come back in time for next feeding.
I finally ended up breastfeeding outside as it was easy, convenient and available. This decision, however, caused problems later on such as a attending wedding and wearing a fancy evening gown. Talk about breastfeeding in an evening nightgown without exposure!(that will be another story)
The decision to bottle feed or breastfeed is your own, but once, they get used to one or the other, it is hard to switch from one to the other.
Here is what I initially had for the newborn period just in case and perhaps you may find such useful for yourself too.
- Breast Pump (if breast feeding and bottle feeding)
- 5-8 bottles if you are bottle feeding
- Bottle cleaning brush
- Bottle drying rack
- Several weeks worth of baby formula
- Cotton bibs
- Burp clothes
Diapers and Bathing Items
- 2 packs of disposable diapers (Newborns can go through 10 to 12 diapers a day)
- A Gentle Baby Wash
- Baby Moisturizer
- Waterproof pad for diaper changes
- Diaper Wipes
- Baby Soap Sponge
- A safe place to bathe baby. You can get a baby bathtub, baby sling, or wash your baby in the sink or regular bath tub.
- Baby Nail clippers
- Digital Ear Thermometer
- Vaseline or Diaper rash cream.
- Car Seat
- Diaper Bag
And voila! That is all that you shall need!