Ah… Summer! Those wonderful barbecue kabob filled evenings and beautiful starry nights.
If you are expecting, perhaps this summer feels hotter than ever. You are sweating more than usual. You have the AC on full blast while the family is dressed for the winter. What can you do to cool yourself down? What are the best summer foods to eat during pregnancy?
There are plenty of tasty and healthy food to indulge in during your pregnancy which includes all the nutrients you need for a healthy, cool pregnancy this summer!
Here are the 7 best summer foods to eat during pregnancy:
Watermelon is a wonderful treat to eat every summer afternoon or evening regardless of being pregnant or not. But, being pregnant, watermelon just tastes much more better and is very hydrating and thirst quenching.
- Great source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, potassium, and magnesium!
- Great source of Fiber.
- Super hydrating fruit, it is 92% water!
- Great source of antioxidants.
Berries are extremely delicious to eat in the summer. There are many ways to eat berries. You can make a smoothie or add them as toppings on your plain yogurt!
- Excellent Source of Vitamin C, Iron, Vitamin B-6, and Magnesium, Vitamin K, Copper and Folate, beta carotene, potassium, folic acid.
- Loaded with Antioxidants
- High in Fiber
- Anti-inflammatory properties.
Cucumbers can hydrate and detoxify your body. Cucumbers are made up of 95 percent of water, therefore are super hydrating for the hot summer. You can add them to a yogurt drink for extra cooling effect or add them to your salads!
- Great source of potassium, magnesium and fiber.
4. Cucumber Mint Lassi: Yogurt Drink
Lassi (buttermilk) is great to cool yourself in the summer. Cucumber and Mint makes it even more refreshing and delicious!
- Yogurt Drinks contains good bacteria necessary for healthy digestive functions.
- Great way to keep yourself hydrated.
5. Dark Leafy Greens
Salads with dark leafy greens such as collards and spinach are hydrating and contains numerous healthy nutrients for your growing baby!
- Rich Vitamins A, C, K and Folic Acid
- High Levels of high levels of fiber, magnesium, potassium and calcium
- Great source of Iron (pregnancy can cause your iron levels to lower so eating any source of dark greens helps!)
Drinking fruit smoothies or veggie smoothies are an awesome way to keep yourself hydrated. If you have a hard time eating greens, add Spinach and Kale to your smoothies to keep your Iron levels up during your pregnancy. Iron levels can dip in pregnancy and its important to get all the extra iron you can.
- Comes in many variety of flavors
- Vitamin Rich (depends on which fruits or veggies you add)
7. Fruit Chaat
Getting your required fruits can easily be accomplished with fruit chaat. in Fruit chaats you can mix in a variety of fruits to get all the vitamins you need for a healthy pregnancy!
- Delicious and Tangy!
- Dietary Fiber
- Rich in Vitamins!